Abdominoplasty (Tummy Tuck)
Before & After Photo Gallery of Abdominoplasty (Tummy Tuck)
Who are the best candidates for abdominoplasty (tummy tuck)? Men and women who have loose, sagging abdominal skin are the best candidates for this procedure.
What does an abdominopasty (tummy tuck) Do? A tummy tuck or abdominoplasty procedure helps correct sagging and stretched skin. Sagging and stretching the skin is unable to return to its normal shape on its own since it has been stretched beyond its elastic limits (think of a spring that is unable to return to its normal shape). Inability of the abdominal skin to return to its normal shape is also similar to a rubber band that has been over stretched and cannot tighten or return to its normal shape.
Abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) is designed to recontour the abdomen. Through this recontouring, a more youthful shape is restored and a lost waistline is regained. Due to pregnancies, weight gain and loss, the lower abdominal muscles separate resulting in a “mommy pouch”. This is due to stretching and separation of the lower tummy muscles (rectus abdominus muscles). Repair of this muscle separation is usually done at the same time.
Hidden Incisions allow Women to wear a 2 piece bathing suit without anyone knowing that they had a tummy tuck or abdominoplasty.
Where there is drooping of the pubic region (ptosis) (following weight loss and pregnancy), in many cases, the repair can also be done at the same surgical session as the abdominoplasty.
The Awake Abdominoplasty (lipoabdominoplasty) offers outpatient ambulatory rapid recovery following weight loss or as part of a Mommy Makeover. It is our most popular tummy tuck (abdominoplasty).
The Miniabdominoplasty is an option when the sagging skin is mainly in the lower abdomen. Advantages include smaller incisions which are easily hidden under a 2 piece bathing suit. (The incisions are about the same size as a lower c section scar).
The major advantages of these tummy tuck options are: rapid recovery, decreased discomfort, and they are usually done on an outpatient basis under conscious sedation. This way you are able to return home the same day.
The Avelar lipoabdominoplasty (no drain abdominoplasty) is a very popular option for men and women with excess fat and loose skin.
What are the advantages of this abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) compared to a traditional procedure? By combining superficial liposculpture with skin excision, healing is more rapid with less recovery time. It is also safer and offers fewer complications than a traditional abdominoplasty (tummy tuck).
Is there an adominoplasty (tummy tuck ) option for those who have scars from prior abdominal surgery (i.e. after prior trauma, bariatric surgery, abdominal aortic aneurysm repair, following open cholecystectomy, appendectomy)? This group of patients may have a compromised blood supply to the abdominal skin due to scarring from prior surgery. With the Lipoabdominoplasty , a robust blood supply to the abdominal skin is preserved.
How is the procedure performed? The procedure is performed under local anesthesia with monitored conscious sedation. Patients are able to go home the same day, and often, no drains are placed.
Dr.Burke uses Quill barbed sutures for additional incision and wound strength. Nonresorbable sutures are used for muscle repair and absorbable pdo sutures are used for fascial and skin closure. This provides additional wound strength during the 90-120 days that it takes for your body to resorb the sutures. The overall result is decreased scar visibility. Where possible, he uses tissue glue for final skin closure, eliminating the need for skin suture removal.
Dr. Burke discusses the outpatient rapid recovery Awake Tummy Tuck:
Many Patients are Curious about Cosmetic Surgery Pricing including costs for Abdominoplasty (Tummy Tuck).
Who is a Candidate
- If you have loose or sagging abdominal wall skin.
- If you have abnormal relaxation of the anterior (front) abdominal wall muscles due to weight gain or loss, pregnancies, or prior surgery.
- If you are unable to tighten abdominal wall skin with exercise.
- If you have drooping of the pubic region (often patients complain that clothes don’t fit and they “look like a man” in shorts or pants).
- A smoother flatter abdomen with more “definition”.
- If extensive, the procedure is usually performed at the hospital under general anesthesia with an overnight admission.
- The tumescent lipoabdominoplasty is performed under conscious sedation on an outpatient basis in our AAAHC accredited surgicenter.
- Mini-abdominoplasty is performed under conscious sedation on an outpatient basis in our AAAHC accredited surgicenter.
- Standard abdominoplasty tightens all of the abdominal wall skin leaving a standard scar.
- Mini-abdominoplasty tightens the lower abdominal wall skin only, leaving a shorter scar.
- Many procedures do not require drains.
Recuperation and Healing
- Discomfort is controlled with oral medications or nasal spray.
- All sutures are usually removed within 2-3 weeks. (In some cases no sutures are placed and tissue glue is used for final skin closure instead).
- A compression garment with dressings over the incision sites is usually used.
- Light activity may be resumed within 7-21 days. Sports will probably not be comfortable for about 6 weeks.
- The specific risks and the suitability of this procedure for a given individual can be determined only at the time of consultation. All surgical procedures have some degree of risk. Minor complications that do not affect the outcome occur occasionally. Major complications are rare.