About Dr. Burke
A triple board certified surgeon, he has a world wide professional reputation as a surgeon, educator and journal editor. He is on the clinical faculty of the University of Michigan (Adjunct Clinical Professor of Maxillofacial Surgery ) and Michigan State University (Clinical Professor of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery and Clinical Professor of Facial Plastic Surgery).
His patients love his skills and the personal touch provided by him and his staff. Many of his patients have referred their family and friends. Patients and their families from around the world have traveled to Ann Arbor for his expertise.
Dr. Burke was reelected Treasurer of the Executive Board of the American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery at their 32nd annual scientific meeting in Ft Lauderdale, Florida this January.
- Examiner and Trustee of the Board of Directors of the American Board of Cosmetic Surgery.
- Trustee and Treasurer of the Board of Directors of the American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery.
- Regular contributor to the medical scientific literature and presenter at national meetings. His original scientific studies on temperature changes and monitoring during laser assisted liposculpture in men and women appear in the March 2012 and the March 2014 issues of the American Journal of Cosmetic Surgery. His research findings “Permanent tattoo removal using a Ruby laser with a unique oval beam for removal of resistant green and blue colors” (Astanza laser) were presented this January at the AACS annual scientific meeting in Ft.Lauderdale, Florida.
- Editorial board of the American Journal of Cosmetic Surgery and Maxillofacial Surgery section editor for the International Journal of Cosmetic Surgery.
- American Association of Orthodontics Award of Special Merit for his research.
- Dr. Burke completed a 7 year study of the teardrop shaped saline breast implant and presented his final results at the American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery annual scientific meeting in Orlando Florida.
- Researcher, FDA pre approval study of cohesive gel silicone breast implants. A ten year FDA approved study of these implants has just been completed.
- Researcher in Mentor and Allergen FDA post approval silicone breast implant studies.
- Principal investigator of IRB approved pilot study of use of the cold Erconia laser for TMJ pain control.
- ”Miembro de Honor” of the Asociacion Argentina de Medicina y Cirugia Cosmetica.
- The Meso American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery (MSACS), invited Dr.Burke to be an “Invited Professor” in San Salvador, El Salvador.
- University of Michigan College of Pharmacy
- University of Michigan School of Dentistry – D.D.S., 1971
- University of Michigan Horace H. Rackham Graduate School – M.S.,1976
- Michigan State University College of Human Medicine –M.D., 1980
- St. Joseph Mercy Hospital Ann Arbor, Michigan
- University of Michigan Medical Center (Chief Resident)
- Newman Cosmetic Surgery Center
- Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine, Department of Surgical Services, Clinical Professor of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery and Clinical Professor of Facial Plastic Surgery
- University of Michigan , Maxillofacial Surgery, Adjunct Clinical Professor
- American College of Surgeons, Fellow
- American College of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, Fellow
- American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery, Fellow
- American Society of Cosmetic Breast Surgery, Associate Fellow
- American Medical Association
- Chalmers J. Lyons Academy of Oral Surgery
- International College of Surgeons, Fellow , Former Vice Regent Michigan Chapter
- Michigan Chapter American College of Surgeons
- Michigan State Medical Society
- Omicron Kappa Upsilon Honor Society
- Washtenaw County Medical Society
- Webster Surgical Society
- President Washtenaw County Medical Society 1990
- President American College of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons 1991-1993
- President American Association of Craniomaxillofacial Surgeons 1993
- Secretary and founder International Society of Cosmetic Laser Surgery 1993
- Trustee American Association of Aesthetic and Restorative Surgery 1994
- Vice Regent International College of Surgeons 1993-2006
- Chairman Board of Directors American Association of Cosmetic Maxillofacial Surgeons 1997
- Trustee American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery 2008-present
- Trustee American Board of Cosmetic Surgery 2012-present
- Secretary of the Executive Board of the American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery 2014
- Treasurer of the Executive Board of the American academy of Cosmetic Surgery 2015, 2016
- Editorial board American Health and Beauty
- Editorial board American Journal of Cosmetic Surgery
- Editorial board “New You” magazine 2008-10
- Maxillofacial Surgery Section Editor International Journal of Cosmetic Surgery
- Guest Editor American Journal of Cosmetic Surgery
- Editorial Advisory Board Topics in Pain Management
- Founding Editor “SURGE” 2007-2010
AWARDS AND HONORS
- Omicron Kappa Upsilon Honor Society
- Great Lakes Society of Oral Surgeons Award
- Award of Merit, American Association of Orthodontists
- President’s Award Michigan State Medical Society (2 time recipient)
- European Society of Aesthetic Surgery, Award of Merit
- Master Certificate, American College of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
- President’s Award American College of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
- Award for Excellence in Cosmetic Surgery Education (American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery)
- “Miembro de Honor” of the Asociacion Argentina de Medicina y Cirugia Cosmetica
BIOGRAPHY : PROFILED IN
- Who’s Who in the World
- Who’s Who in America
- Who’s Who in the Midwest
- Who’s Who in Science and Engineering
- Who’s Who in American Education
- Who’s Who in Medicine and Healthcare
- Board Certified by the American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
- Board Certified by the American Board of Cosmetic Surgery: General Cosmetic Surgery; Facial Cosmetic Surgery; Dermatologic Cosmetic Surgery; Maxillofacial Cosmetic Surgery
- Board Certified by the American Board of Facial Cosmetic Surgery
- St. Joseph Mercy Hospital, Ann Arbor
- Herrick Memorial Hospital, Tecumseh
- Bixby Medical Center, Adrian