Before & After Photo Gallery of Breast Reduction
- It also addresses physical complaints of back, neck, and shoulder pain.
- Helps reduce skin irritation experienced by many women with large and pendulous breasts.
- Skin, glandular tissue, and fat are removed from the breasts to create smaller, shapelier breasts which are in a more normal position.
- The areola (darker skin surrounding the nipple) tissue may also be reduced in size and uplifted.
Are there any minimally invasive breast reduction options?
Yes. In certain cases a minimally invasive laser liposculpture procedure can be used to reduce excess fat and stimulate breast shrinkage. Its main advantages include lack of extensive incisions on the breast, and more rapid post procedure recovery.
Who is a Candidate?
- If you are self conscious about the large size of your breasts.
- If you have large breasts and experience associated back, neck, and shoulder pain.
- If you have large breasts and experience skin irritation associated with your bra straps from shoulder indentation.
- If you have large breasts and experience skin irritation under your breast folds.
- Smaller breasts with a more pleasing contour.
- The procedure is done in the hospital under general anesthesia.
- There is usually an overnight admission.
- The design of the incisions can vary but usually include incisions around the nipple-areola (darker skin around the nipple) complex and in the crease under the breast.
- Skin, glandular tissue, and fat are removed to create smaller, more shapely breasts in a more normal position.
- Breast tissue is submitted for biopsy (pathologist examines).
- A small drain may be inserted at the time of surgery.
Recuperation and Healing
- The patient goes home in a support dressing or bra with dressings over the incision lines.
- The support dressings or bra are worn for 4-6 weeks.
- Drains are removed in 2-7 days.
- Sutures are usually completely removed within 2-3 weeks.
- Initial discomfort is controlled with oral medication or nasal spray.
- Light activities may be started in 7-10 days.
- Lifting may resume in 6 weeks.
- Additional procedures, which may enhance the result, are mastopexy (uplift) and reduction of the nipple-areola (dark skin around the nipple) complex.
- The specific risks and the suitability of this procedure for a given individual can be determined only at the time of consultation. All surgical procedures have some degree of risk. Minor complications that do not affect the outcome occur occasionally. Major complications are rare.