Liposuction, Liposculpture & Lipotransfer
Before & After Photo Gallery of Liposuction, Liposculpture & Lipotransfer
Dr.Burke is the first surgeon in Michigan to offer the SmartLipo™ MPX Dual Wavelength Laser System for Fat Removal and Skin Tightening. He was also the first to introduce multiple wavelengths of laser light to maximize effect including High Definition Body Sculpting for men and women.
Dr.Burke is a liposculpture expert. He studied liposuction, liposculpture procedures, and lipotransfer under the direction of Dr. Julius Newman who introduced the procedure in the United States in the early 1980’s. Dr.Burke later joined Dr.Newman as a member of the teaching faculty of Graduate Hospital.
Dr.Burke has incorporated his knowledge and research into a customized approach to body sculpting, combining the latest technologies including power assisted, high definition (high HD), microcannula liposculpture, stem cell liposculpture and laser assisted liposculpture.
His technique has been described in Plastic Surgery Practice: “Body sculpting using a customized approach to fat management”. These method have also been described as: 3D liposculpture; 4 D liposculpture; and 360 degree or circumferential liposculpture.
The concept is to create the most natural and pleasing anatomic contours in keeping with one’s own individual body size, shape, and vision. These contours typically have width, height, and depth in keeping with natural body contours.
Many areas of the body are commonly treated with liposuction (liposculpture ) including: the cheeks (buccal extraction or reduction of the buccal fat pads); the neck (improves jaw-neck or cervicomandibular definition); arms; upper arms; armpit region (axillae); breasts (for gynecomastia in men: for minimally invasive breast reduction option in women); abdomen; flanks; mid and upper back; sacrum; buttocks (gluteal recontouring); pubic region; upper legs including the saddle bags, inner and outer thighs; knees; ankles.
Buccal Fat Extraction: Debulking the cheek fat pad through an incision inside the mouth.
There are also specialized liposuction (liposculpture techniques) for removal of localized fat through an intraoral (through the mouth ) approach. These techniques were developed by Dr.Burke and Dr. Julius Newman starting in the late 1980’s at Graduate hospital in Philadelphia, and continue to be refined. The most common use is to debulk the cheek fat pad, creating a more sculptured facial profile with emphasis on the cheekbones.
This customized approach is based on your needs which are reviewed and determined at your consultation appointment.
If your skin has good elasticity ( the ability to shrink following the procedure), liposculpture alone (with removal and recontouring of your areas of body concern) may be the procedure of choice. Where additional shrinkage is desired or elasticity is not as good, laser assisted liposculpture with the Smart Lipo is recommended.
Here, Melissa discusses her neck with the smart lipo for additional face shaping and neck shrinkage.
Below is a woman in her mid 40’s who exercised daily and watched her weight but was unable to lose weight or dimensions. Her main goal was to be able to get ready for summer and wear a 2 piece bathing suite. The top photos are the before and the lower are the after.
Dr.Burke prefers to use small blunt microcannulas (1-2 mm)to minimize incisions and aesthetically maximize results (given your goals, skin condition, muscle tone, and amount of fat).
The SmartLipo™ MPX laser system utilizes a micro laser fiber inserted through the fat layer to liquefy fat cells, resulting in gentle and more efficient fat removal. The SmartLipo™ MPX stimulates new collagen production through controlled heating directly under the skin. Dr. Burke’s original temperature studies of the procedure document the optimal temperatures and techniques for maximum skin shrinkage in areas that have previously been difficult to treat such as the neck, arms, muffin top, medial thighs, and knees.
Dr. Burke often combines: SmartLipo™ MPX dual wave Laser system; tumescent liposculpture; Power Assisted Liposculpture ( PAL); and the LipoLaser where necessary to help “sculpt” or recontour the body, removing unwanted subcutaneous fat from specific areas including the abdomen, back, love handles, neck and cheeks, upper arms, hips, and knees. This liposculpturing is also known as 360 degree liposculpture (also known as circumferential liposculpture) Your fit in clothes and shape improves as stubborn fat deposits, resistant to diet and exercise are removed. These techniques may be combined to create Natural high definition body contouring in men and women.
Many patient have expressed interests in the Costs of Liposculpture. Please use this link to find more about the Costs of Liposculpture.
Smart Lipo Laser Assisted Liposculpture may be combined with minimal incision surgery to treat excess male breast development (gynecomastia).
Liposculpture, including use of SmartLipo™ MPX Laser assisted procedures may be done under local anesthesia and supplemented with conscious sedation depending on your needs. Most patients return to work following weekend recovery.
Lipotransfer uses your own fat to compliment and enhance other body areas that lack adequate volume. This includes recruitment and isolation of your own adipose derived stem cells. The cells are then mixed with PRP (platelet rich plasma) and injected into desired areas such as the face, neck, back of hands, decolletage region, and the upper breast for gentle breast lifting while avoiding scars on the front of the breasts.
Your own growth factors are concentrated by Dr.Burke and mixed with the harvested fat to supercharge the result – improving skin texture and quality while restoring a more youthful, natural appearance. This regenerative medicine procedure is known as the stem cell facelift or ALMI procedure. It may also be applied in other parts of the body including:
- aging hands
- the decolletage region
- for breast lifting
- treatment of cellulite
Adipose (fat) derived stem cells are harvested by Dr. Burke using a proprietary process to extract stem cells from our own fat (also known as the ALMI procedure) and combine it with PRP (platelet rich plasma) for reinjection.
Advantages of this procedure include:
- lack of surgical incisions
- shorter procedure lasting about an hour
- can be done under local anesthesia
- quick recovery
Who is a Candidate
- If you have excess subcutaneous fat, which is resistant to diet and exercise.
- If you wish to change the contours of your body, and neck (under the chin), cheeks, upper arms and armpits, abdomen, love handles, saddle bags, upper legs, inner thighs, and medial knees.
- If you are of near normal weight and desire contour changes. This procedure is not a substitute for weight loss.
- The best candidates have a body mass index (BMI) of 30 or less. ? Unsure of your BMI: Here’s a BMI CALCULATOR!
- Cellulite will not be cured by liposuction.
- Improved techniques allow larger amounts of fat removal for those above their ideal weight. Liposculpture can be useful in heavier persons on an individualized basis, when combined with lifestyle modification including proper diet, increase in exercise, and a health night’s sleep.
- Improvement in the contour and proportion of the treated areas.
- A more flattering figure or physique, in or out of clothing.
- The procedure is done on an outpatient basis.
- Conscious sedation is usually used for comfort and safety.
- Large volumes of fluid are infused into the area to be treated to help liquefy the fat. Small suction tubes (micro cannulas) are inserted through very short incisions placed in inconspicuous locations near fat deposits and excess fat is removed.
Recuperation and Healing
- The patient goes home with a compression garment (or tape) covering the treated areas. Compression is necessary during the initial healing for maximum aesthetic results. You will be given an initial compression garment to wear.
- Discomfort is usually mild and controlled with oral medications.
- Bruising and swelling usually subside in 2-4 weeks. The final result takes shape over 3-6 months.
- Additional procedures that may enhance the result are tummy tuck (abdominoplasty), breast reduction, thigh lift, and arm lift (brachioplasty).
- The specific risks and the suitability of this procedure for a given individual can only be determined at the time of consultation. All surgical procedures have some degree of risk. Minor complications that do not affect the outcome occur occasionally. Major complications are rare.