Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP)
Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) releases your own growth factors enhancing cosmetic surgery procedures.
PRP is made from your own body and is completely natural (does not contain foreign substances). By drawing out a small amount of blood into a sterile tube (similar to having a blood test) the platelet rich plasma fraction is separated, prepared and either injected or applied directly to the skin surface. Because of its effectiveness, Dr.Burke uses it in many of his cosmetic surgical procedures including noninvasive (microneedling), minimally invasive (lipotransfer), invasive (facelift), and as a stand alone procedure in those wishing to use only their own natural growth factors.
PRP releases biologically active proteins containing 7 growth factors: stimulate stem cell migration, differentiation and proliferation (soft tissue healing). In the body platelets help rebuild damaged tissue. Externally, studies have shown that platelets stimulate your stem cells resulting in the growth of new skin.
1. Platelet Derived Growth Factor (PDGF)– stimulates cell growth, repair of blood vessels and generation of new blood vessels.
2. Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor (VEGF) – promotes growth of new blood vessels and wound healing.
3. Epithjelial Growth Factor (EGF) – promotes epithelial cell growth, growth of new blood vessels, and wound healing.
4. Keratinocyte Growth Factor (KGF) – promotes growth of keratinocytes.
5. Insulin Growth Factor (IGF)– regulates cell growth.
6. Transforming Growth Factor Beta (TGF-B)– growth and formation of new epithelial cells and vascular endothelial cells (line blood vessels) , promotes wound healing.
7. Fibroblast Growth Factor (FGF) – promotes tissue repair, cell growth, collagen production.
With topical application, Micro Needling with the Eclipse Microneedling Pen is used to creating tiny channels along the skin surface (over 100,000 during an average treatment session). PRP is applied topically to the skin, allowing full penetration into the dermis and formative skin cells in the lower epidermal layers of the skin. Topical application enables freshly processed PRP to get directly to the skin cells throughout the treatment area more evenly.
Injectable PRP: In selected cases, PRP is used as an injectable. Usually this is to target specific areas and to boost the effects of fillers such as Bellafill, Sculptra, and hyaluronic acids (Juvederm; Restylane).
In some cases, where patients want to only use natural injectables, PRP is used alone with no additional filler.
In other cases the PRP is combined with the injection of your own fat, resulting in replenishing lost volume.
PRP to minimize scars and stretch marks
PRP Facelift (sometimes referred to as a “Vampire” facelift) is a noninvasive-minimally invasive option for those wishing to look younger, reverse many of the outward signs of aging, and who do not have time for invasive surgery and prolonged recovery. Dr. Burke incorporates the following in his treatment:
- Computer analysis of the face with evaluation of assymetry (right to left facial differences), skin texture, skin color, skin volume, skin elasticity (sagging).
- Preparation of PRP (platelet rich plasma) derived from you own blood with reinjection to boost your own, naturally occurring growth factors.
- Volume replacement as necessary. This may include using your own fat, placement of hyaluronic acid fillers, or placement of Bellafill (over 5 years duration)
- Treatment of dynamic rhytids as necessary (the lines that appear on your forehead, between your eyes, lateral eyes, and around your mouth when you smile, frown, laugh, talk).
- Place sagging loose tissues into their more youthful, natural position through the use of the Silhouette instalift.
- Necessary skin surface treatments including formulation of a daily skin care routine.
Micro needling based procedures using topical PRP help minimize the appearance of scars and stretch marks:
• Scars: Micro needling is used to break up the fibrous tissues of the scar and the PRP spurs the growth of healthy tissue.
• Stretch Marks: Micro needling creates channels over the thinned skin of the stretch mark. PRP promotes growth of thicker skin by the underlying fibroblast through these microchannels.
Curious about the Costs of Cosmetic Surgery Procedures? Please use this link to find more about the Costs of Platelet Rich Plasma.